McGoldrick Library

Rev. Edward F. McGoldrick (1857-1930) was the founder and first pastor of St. Andrew Avellino Roman Catholic church in Flushing. The parish was established in 1914 in response to a growing Catholic population in Upper Flushing, and for its first two years, Mass was celebrated at the Ritz Theatre on Broadway and 14th Street (now Northern Boulevard and 154th Street). The first church -- a small wooden structure with a capacity of 567 -- was built several blocks down Broadway in 1916; the present cathedral-like building was dedicated in December 1940. The parish's school (now the St. Andrew Avellino Catholic Academy) was opened in 1925.

Fr. McGoldrick also sought to bring a public library to the residents of Upper Flushing. In 1921 he joined the Queens Public Library's Board of Trustees to advocate for a new branch in that community, and in 1929 the Broadway- Flushing Community Library was opened. Just one year later Fr. McGoldrick passed away, and in 1933 the branch was renamed in his honor.

A plaque displaying Fr. McGoldrick's photo and describing his role in establishing the library was installed at the branch in a public ceremony in November 2017.


Mark Hallum, "McGoldrick Library gets plaque for namesake priest," QNS, December 5, 2017,

"Namesake Of McGoldrick Library Honored," Queens Gazette, December 6, 2017,

"Rev. E.F. M'Goldrick's Funeral Is Tomorrow," The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, October 2, 1930,

Joseph Brostek, "Parish History," St. Andrew Avellino Roman Catholic Church, accessed Sept. 20, 2022,